Monday, May 12, 2014

The girls are on the Cod!

The girls are all installed at Cape Cod Organic Farm and 4-H Camp Farley. No stings!
Me and Mike Campbell installing the bees at 4-H Farley
It was a fabulous weekend on Cape Cod. Everything is blooming, all the leaves have unfurled, and life is beautiful. This Narrow Land is a flowery and green paradise.
We (Barnstable County Beekeepers Association) distributed over a quarter of a million honeybees on Saturday. It is a subtle transformation of our environment. It was great fun. All the newbees were so excited and curious to pick up their bees. It was great fun volunteering with Miguel, Jan, Claire, Marte, and Lisa.

The two hives at camp, so cute!
 After I installed the bees at CCOF, the farmer and I went to Captain Frosty's. Oh man. That is good stuff. They are a member of Buy Fresh Buy Local Cape Cod. Their food is delicious and fresh. I totally recommend them. Clam cakes and fish sandwich, yummers!
Distributing bees early Saturday morning....Do I look nervous with 225k bees and no protection?




 Mother's Day was wonderful! The weather was perfect, all my spring bulbs are so gorgeous, the air is fragrant, and the sunshine was much needed. All the birds have returned! From my room I can hear the conservation land is alive with nesting, pairing, and eating (woodpeckers!). Mother's Day was filled with spiritual practice, family, and yoga-it was perfect. I had a civilized lunch with my grandfather and my parents at the Landfall, in Woods Hole.By civilized, I mean lunchtime cocktails and lobster. I wore a spring party dress! Dad went swimming (the water is 57 degrees!) after lunch and I took a walk and a nap. My teenager sent me a beautiful card and bee earrings. Like I said, perfect!
The bees waiting for pickup!
I hope you had a good day and, did you get your bees? All my love, Kalliope

No comments:

Post a Comment