Monday, April 7, 2014

Burning



This weekend I burned. Firing up the burn barrel or getting a big ol’ pile of branches, left-over clippings from last year (my Incrediball hydrangeas become mini-fireballs), and the like, is a welcome harbinger of spring. The smell of smoke on me reminded me of beekeeping and got me excited for my season.
When my daughter and I completed Bee School is the winter of 2006, we had to decide on a hive management plan. When going into a hive, you have several options for controlling the 60k+ bees that are in there. Going in when bees are out foraging reduces the bees by a bit, but you still need to think about protecting yourself and keeping the bees occupied.
My Olivia decided she wanted to spray sugar water on the bees. This method distracts the honeybees from wanting to sting you, as they are so busy licking sugar water off their fur with their proboscis. The other method is smoking them, which Olivia objected to. She objected to this method because the smoke freaks the bees out. They think their house is on fire. They are so busy ingesting honey to protect their stores that they cannot be bothered with you going into their hive. It also sets the hive back. She didn’t like that.
One summer, when we were newbie backyard beekeepers, there was a summer drought. I didn’t know this, for whatever reason. We rarely went into our hive in the summer, and  generally nectar is abundant. Well, we went in with sugar water and the bees flipped out. They were starving and angry and sugar water just didn’t cut it. The bees circled the house for days. Lesson learned. I always smoke my bees.
As a commercial beekeeper smelling like smoke has become common for me. Yesterday evoked the memory of regular hive visits, hot summer days, a swim at the Mill Pond after working the hives with the farmer, maybe clam fritters at Capt’n Frosty's (they open April 18!!!!) and more. At my evening yoga class, (Vinyasa Flow) I could smell the smoke on me from burning during the day. It’s a certain kind of perfume for a beekeeper (we can’t wear perfume…).
Sending you loving smoke fairy bees to soothe your soul with wing kisses on your cheeks and forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment