Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day!



Happy Birthday/Earth Day!


Earth Day was born in San Francisco, as was I. I am a day and a year older than Earth Day, being born on the 21st in 1969, but feel deeply connected to it. My work is boots on the ground, collecting hazardous and difficult-to-manage waste. We collected ten tons of it on April 19th!
At the HHW collection on Saturday: Dave, Kalliope, Linda


This past weekend was glorious on Cape Cod. Everything is starting to open up from being closed all winter. A fabulous feast with good friends on Friday started the holiday weekend off beautifully. Easter was spent picnicking at Herring Cove in Provincetown with a dear friend watching whales from the beach. We had a grand time drinking champagne, eating egg salad sandwiches and potato chips while watching whales from the warm sand, it was amazing!

I spent my birthday at the farm, continuing to clear brush from around the stone wall. It was warm, sunny, and quite a lot of bees were flying. The news from The Queen Rearing Program up around the calving barn was they lost a lot of their hives over the winter but I think some of the bees were from that project. I bought several pounds of wildflower seed and am going to sow around the hives. It’s going to be beautiful!

My birthday dinner was with my parents (my mother made bread!), it was sweet and simple. That is how I like it. They both had good news. My mother is publishing her book, Beatchik, on Tuesday, and their company, Crane Herb, has had a lot of good press in the WSJ and Time magazine this week. I am so proud of them!





Today, I am floating, yet grounded-happy and content with the prospect of the next 45 years. Beekeeping, being an environmentalist, having a spiritual program, practicing yoga, being an uplifting parent, cooking, running-it’s all lovely and satisfying. What better birthday/Earth Day gift than enjoying life and experiencing happiness?


All my love,

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the whales we saw on Easter! http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/04/21/rare-whale-sighting-cape-cod-bay/sEWUplpnGwNYLLwtO2pQQJ/story.html

    ReplyDelete